What is the Cydia Eraser?
Jay Freeman, also known as Saurik, the developer and founder of the Cydia download had come up with this tool for jailbroken users. The Cydia Eraser allows you to remove the jailbreak from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch model. It also allows you to restore the iPhone, iPad or iPod back to the current iOS version without updating to the latest version of iOS. This process removes Cydia Installer, Cydia apps and all the data on your jailbroken iDevice. Furthermore, it reverts all the changes made by the jailbreak process and returns your jailbroken device to the same stock Apple iOS firmware.
This was initially introduced by Saurik, with a tool called Cydia impactor for iOS 8.3 and 8.4 jailbreak users. But, after Pangu came up with a new jailbreak tool for the iOS 9.2 – iOS 9.3.3, Saurik came up with a whole new tool called the Cydia Eraser. This bundled the restore feature to it and partially supported the iOS 9. Then, Saurik updated the Cydia Eraser to fully support the iOS 9.3.3 jailbreak as well as newer versions.
What is the Cydia impactor?
Cydia impactor is a device management suite that runs on “full” computers, like Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. This, first released in 2013 with one very popular feature, to jailbreak Andriod devices using the “Master Key” exploit.
Originally, Cydia Eraser was made public under the name Cydia Impactor, as a “un-jailbreakable device” And this was slated to be a feature of the full tool and the mobile implementation of this tool was built from the same codebase. However, this took a while to finish the full feature of the specific version of the impactor.
Meanwhile, some of the other, stranger technology decisions in the original versions of the Cydia Eraser made it seem that it was almost necessary to have a unified naming. This was actually changed before the tool was ever first released, but Luca seemed to have forgotten to go back and re-evaluate the decision to overlap the names.
Then, newer versions of the Impactor were being released and Jay did not have a built in version of the Eraser, so he really needed to go around pushing to build with the name change. (which itself was ready quite a long time ago, but was waiting on other upgrades)
Also, it is highly liked, that at some point there will be multiple apps inside of this package. And it might get renamed back to Cydia impactor, but the apps will not be named so.
Essentially, all of these weren’t all done at that point and this half way stage of things wasn’t giving Jay any solace. So he remarked that this tool might remind some of a tool called iLEX RAT, which was an old app that was compatible with iOS 4 though iOS 6, as well as Semi- restore. Which was a desktop tool.
However, Saurik claimed that this tool was completely different when the tool finishes, the damaged or lost files will be repaired (back to Apple stock) and your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch model will no longer be jailbroken.
Benefits of using the Cydia Eraser
If you feel the need to remove Cydia download or unjailbreak your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch due to whatever reason, the only chance you had was restoring the device using iTunes. By following this method, your iDevice’s iOS version will be available to the latest. If the updated iOS version is the only update signing by Apple and if it doesn’t support jailbreaking, then you lose the Cydia download possibility of your device.
But now, you can use Cydia Eraser for this purpose. This just simply removed Cydia installer and the jailbreak from your device and will restore to the same stock firmware without updating the iOS version. So then, you are on a fresh device with no jailbreak but it will still have the jailbreak ability. So now, you can re-jailbreak the device anytime you want. In addition to all this, Cydia Eraser includes the following benefits.
- You can completely remove Cydia download and its’ complete components (user data, apps, tweaks, sources.)
- Unjailbreak an iOS device & put it to the original Stock state.
- You can restore the device without losing the jailbreak ability.
- No need to use a computer.
- It’s a very simple procedure
Why would I use the Cydia Eraser?
There are two main reasons why someone might want to do this.
- If you want to sell your iDevice to someone else. but you don’t want to upgrade it as the ability to jailbreak the device is more valuable.
- You don’t want to delete all of your data.
- You’re noticing problems with your setup and the ordinary troubleshooting steps don’t seem to work. And if you just want to start over again with a reasonably fresh install.
- If you got serious issues with Cydia downloader and you need a fresh install.
Important to note:
- The Cydia Eraser supports the removal of the jailbreak on the iOS 7.1 through iOS 9.3.3 iPhone, iPad & iPod device easily.
- This tool will erase all the data on the device.
- You need to re-activate the device after using the Cydia Eraser. Therefore, it’ll require your Apple ID & Password to get the access your device, if you have enabled “Find My iPhone” for your iOS device.
- The device should be connected to the internet when this tool is running.
- It is better to have the device has fully charged before the process.
Please note: Before using Cydia Eraser
- You should completely back-up your device using iTunes
- The device should be connected to the internet
- Charge your device – the device should not be low on battery
While using the Cydia Eraser
- Please make sure that your device’s internet connection alive throughout the process
- Avoid doing anything on your device while the Cydia Eraser is running
- This process takes about 5 to 20 minutes to finish. Please wait patiently until your device reboots after completing the process.
How to Un-jailbreak and remove Cydia download using Cydia Eraser?
- Launch Cydia installer, search for the Cydia Eraser & install it on your device.
- Launch Cydia Eraser app on the Home Screen
- Tap on “Erase all data, un-jailbreak device“
- Tap on “Erase All” to confirm
It will take about 5 to 20 minutes to proceed. During the process, your device will reboot several times. Once completed, the welcome screen will appear. Now you have a fresh device with the same iOS version running before restore. Activate the device using your Apple ID & Password. Well, Congratulations! Now you are able to re-jailbreak & install Cydia on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch anytime.
Cydia Eraser for iOS 10.2 Cydia Download
Are you now wondering what happened to the Cydia Eraser for iOS 10 – iOS 10.2 jailbreak? Well, let’s take a look as to where the Cydia Eraser tool stands today for the jailbreak community.
If you are currently enjoying all of the benefits and spoils that come along with a stable, high-performance Yalu102 jailbreak solution for the iOS 10, you must have installed all of your favorite tweaks, extensions, themes, and packages. And while enjoying all these luxuries, having run into a problem with them? Well, then you must’ve remembered Saurik’s Cydia Eraser which allows the user to unjailbreak their device on the same firmware and then start from scratch without having to update to the latest un-jailbreakable version of iOS.
As you already know, Cydia Eraser is meant to entirely remove the iOS jailbreak. And also to restore the iOS device back to a complete stock state of the same iOS version. Even though it’s seamless and very stable, it’s unfortunate that Cydia Eraser is not currently compatible with devices running iOS 10. The lack of compatibility means that if you actually go through with the process you might get stuck in a consistent boot loop by the installation process of the Cydia Eraser. This will likely cause in you having to restore the device via iTunes which will possible force install the latest version of iOS.
Comments on the Cydia Eraser
There’s no denying that the Cydia Eraser is one of the best tools to have in your jailbreak toolkit. Having the ability to almost instantly remove any trace of a jailbreak. And this, while still remaining on a vulnerable version of iOS is definitely amazing.
Jay Freeman had actually commented on this issue; where he outlined that even he doesn’t have a functioning version of Eraser for iOS yet.
If you are jailbroken and is sitting in iOS 10, it’s better that you stay away from installing Cydia Eraser. This is till you hear a word from Jay that it is completely compatible with iOS 10.
But if you do want to try it out anyways here are the steps,
How to Remove iOS 10.2 Jailbreak with Cydia Eraser
- Navigate to Cydia > Sources
- Add this URL: http://apt.saurik.com/beta/eraser-10.1/
- With that repository, install Cydia Eraser
The tweak should now install and sit right on your home screen. Open it and activate Cydia Eraser.
There is another method
It seems like you can still unjailbreak your iOS 10 device while keeping the firmware as is. Giving the meaning that it will not upgrade to the latest Apple firmware.
A user from Twitter (@jcoz00) tweeted:
Apparently resetting your iOS Device from Find My iPhone keeps it on the current firmware. This is great news for jailbreakers!
Several people from the r/Jailbreak subreddit have confirmed that this method is working. However, many argue that this can quickly generate issues to your jailbreak so it’s quite controversial. Hang on with us for any update regarding the Cydia Eraser!